This post may contain affiliate links. The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis, or treatment by a licensed physician. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.
Self-care is pivotal at any time and given our current climate, it is more important than ever! But self-care can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, and figuring out what it means to you is the first step. The second is ensuring a holistic self-care routine. IE: the whole vessel is being supported. Below you will find an assortment of self-care ideas that encompass the whole package: mind, body, and soul. Let’s get started!
What is holistic self-care?
Holistic self-care is more than just trendy buzzwords. You’ve probably heard some variation of “how you feel on the inside, reflects on the outside” – right? That’s the point of holistic self-care. You take care of each part of you: mind, body, and soul to ensure that the whole package is reflecting positivity, strength, and health.
Holistic in itself is a word that often gets dragged. In truth it simply means treatment of the whole person, taking into account not only physical but social and mental health as well. The word often gets tacked onto controversial topics and has been given a stigma to match. Here at Lady AND Reverie, we use holistic self-care with an open heart, understanding it’s true purpose and importance.
How often should You do Self-Care
To say the least, daily. This is something I will dive deeper into in the future but it’s important to take care of yourself daily. Some of the following ideas will be fun, or more serious. Many cross-each other’s paths which is the whole point of holistic self-care! So make sure you incorporate them into your daily schedule, try to choose at least one from each area to keep your mind, body, and soul rounded and well taken care of! Now, without further ado, let’s get onto the fun holistic self-care ideas!
Holistic Self-Care Ideas for the Mind
- Journaling: try a brain dump, a free-write, or find a thoughtful prompt to get you going. Tarot reader? You can find a Tarot Journal in my shop!
- Read a book: Grab a book, whether it’s a raunchy romance, or a paranormal thriller, a bloody action, or a supportive self-help – whatever get’s your attention (and keeps it!).
- Meditate: You know I’m a huge proponent of meditation. Sit quietly and stop thinking. You can learn all about meditation here.
- Write: Follow a creative writing prompt, throw together a haiku, plan out your novel, rhyme some silly words, try your hand at songwriting: whatever gets you writing in a creative way is perfect for getting you out of your own head.
- Critical Thinking Game: Sudoku, crosswords, and puzzles are great for sharpening the mind, and improving focus and memory!
- Cut out technology: Whether it’s “unplugging” the phone, doing a social media detox, zero screentime, turn off notifications, or even turning off the internet – it can improve happiness, and decrease anxiety!
- Sit in a museum: Focusing on something outside of your life is a great self-care hack. If you can’t go to a museum, try looking for virtual tours, or flipping through an art book.
- Color: Coloring books aren’t just for kids! A great way to improve focus and get in touch with your inner child. Grab a children’s coloring book for a silly escape or an adult one for more complicated linework.
- Check Yourself: More of a trick than a self-care act, but if you find yourself being negative or self-deprecating: immediately reverse it and declare the opposite. Find. Something. Positive. ANYTHING. Just say it. The more you do it, the less you’ll have to! Need some help? Check out the In Pursuit of Joy 30 Day Guided Workbook!
- Set a bedtime schedule: Wake at the same time, and go to sleep at the same time. Your brain needs adequate sleep to work properly! Oh, and your body will thank you too.
- Declutter: Chaos around you, will internalize. So take the time to keep your home clutter-free so your mind can stay that way too! While you’re at it, get rid of the negative energy as well!
- Accomplish something: Ok don’t freak out. Make it small. Tiny really. Like: do the dishes, take out the trash, or clean out the junk drawer. Some small task that always ends up getting kicked to the bottom of the to-do list. Make it the top priority, check it off and you’ll feel like a million bucks!
- Learn something: Nothing stimulates the mind like using it. So learn something new! Take a class, read a how-to book, watch a tutorial, try a DIY project, pick up a new hobby – whatever it is, it doesn’t have to be serious or important or life-changing. It just needs to be new and doable. Bonus points if it something you’ve “always wanted to do”!
- Affirmations: Affirmations are probably the easiest thing someone can do every single day to change their lives. It feels silly at times, it feels ridiculous or even embarrassing. But that goes away. You can say a new affirmation daily, you can say the same one every single day. But look in the mirror, take a deep breath and say something. Because you deserve to hear it.
- Create a Vision Board: Want your life to change by next year? Create a vision board. Visualize what that life looks like, cut out pictures that represent it, and put it somewhere you can see daily. And every day take a good long look at it and feel what it will be like to be living that.
- Take a vacation: It doesn’t have to be grand – you could be a tourist in your own city! Can’t even do that? Try a virtual vacation! Find video tours, books, and audio of somewhere you’ve always wanted to go and immerse yourself! I highly recommend solo vacations for this exercise to really explore yourself at the moment.
- Listen to your favorite podcast: Audio is a great way to multi-task, learn something, and step out of your own head for a while, while you concentrate on something else.
Holistic Self-Care Ideas for the Body
- Workout: I bet you didn’t see this one coming. Working out is the best way to make your body feel better from the outside in. Besides the obvious fitness benefits, you can also benefit from a better complexion and a calmer mind! So go out and find something you love: join a gym, go for a run, do some Pilates or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu…the possibilities are endless!
- Yoga: Speaking of fitness, yoga is one of the best ways to enrich your mind, body, and soul all in one activity! From beginner to advanced, there is something for everyone, and no fancy equipment required!
- Go for a walk: Of course, this could fall under exercise as well, but as the act of walking is a mindful meditation in and of itself, I wanted to call it out separately. Sometimes simply walking down the block can be better for your body than a full-body workout so never underestimate the power of a walk!
- Dress up: Take the time to dress to the nines – especially for no reason at all. When you are feeling sluggish or lazy, it’s the best way to instantly perk yourself up and feel instantly better about yourself!
- Try a new recipe: Of course, generally, I would recommend a healthy recipe to help you feel better from the inside out. However, sometimes a chocolate brownie can do a lot more for the soul than a kale smoothie so pay attention to your body and its’ needs!
- Mindful body scan: Similar to meditating, a full-body scan is simply closing your eyes and tuning into the body. Listen to the creaks and groans of your joints, the pain and soreness of your muscles, and the tightness in your flexibility. Listen carefully so you can respond appropriately.
- Rest: Don’t ever be afraid of just resting. Take a break. Lock yourself in a room and take a nap, or read a book, but physically take time away from doing something. Your mind, body, and soul will all thank you!
- Dance it out: Sometimes you just need to dance the emotions out. Stop what you are doing, crank up the tunes (or the tunes in your head – no judgement) and DANCE. Move your body to the beat, or just MOVE. Jiggle out the negativity, the emotions, the responsibilities. Move until you’re laughing, and then keep moving.
- Deep breath: Learn some deep breathing techniques. This is especially helpful when you are feeling anxious, upset, or angry. But they are good practice at any point, and can help lower your blood pressure to keep you from hitting high points in the first place!
- Take a bath: Soaking in warm water can be one of the most relaxing things you can do for your body. Add in some bubbles and aromatherapy and it’s practically heaven on earth. Don’t have a bath around? Hot tubs and long showers can have the same effect!
- EFT: Emotional Freedom Technique Tapping is an alternative treatment for pain or emotional distress. And it’s something a doctor doesn’t need to perform, in fact, you learn basics for self-tapping on YouTube!
- Hugs: Who doesn’t love a good hug? Ok, some people don’t, fair enough. but if you are someone who does it’s one of the easiest, cheapest, and quickest ways to release oxytocin, dopamine, and serotonin. These cuddle hormones increase our mood, lower Depression, and make us feel happy and relaxed! No one around? Pet’s and blankets also count!
- Sex: Speaking of hugs…sex is a beautiful way of getting in touch with our bodies, and intertwining with another’. Obviously practice safe sex to protect against unwanted pregnancies and STI’s, but otherwise, go wild and have fun! No one around? Self-love is just as good, if not better!
- Eat some greens: Already mentioned healthy food (and unhealthy), but specifically greens chock full of additional nutrients, such as minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and some even contain surprising amounts of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. And Yes, baked Kale chips totally count!
- Get some sun: Vitamin sun baby! But seriously, sunshine releases serotonin into your brain making you feel happier, more focused, and calmer! Obviously slather yourself in sunblock first, but don’t forget this important (and free!) vitamin each day!
- Laugh: Turn on your favorite comedian or call your funniest friend, a good laugh is worth more than most mediations.
- Massage: A good massage is worth its money. But if you don’t have the money grab a friend for a fun back massage swap-a-roo! Or giving yourself a nice foot massage can release tension, improve circulation, and ease certain pains (pressure points for the win)!
- Drink some water: Water is often underrated. But it’s one of the easiest things to do to make your body feel better. We are made of water, so drink up. The only negative is you might have to pee more often!
Holistic Self-Care Ideas for the Soul
- Start a gratitude journal: Ok this clearly goes for the mind as well, but a gratitude journal forces you to dig deep into your soul and find peace and joy where you may not have known it exists!
- Say no to negativity: Walk away from people and things in your life that bring you negativity. I know (first hand) how difficult this can be, but family and jobs, etc. that bring you down can literally destroy you from the inside out. Time to start looking for a new job, or moving, or establishing boundaries, or simply walking away to get a fresh start that YOU DESERVE.
- Watch the sunrise: (or the sunset) usually, whichever you see the least feels far more romantic and magical – so catch it! Grab a coffee or tea (or wine) and just seep in the magic of the sun.
- Write a love letter (to yourself): Yup I said it. Check out that hottie in the mirror! They are doing incredible things. You should definitely tell them everything you love about them. Shh, you should sign it secret admirer while you’re at it! 😉
- Commune with nature: Ok you don’t have to become a nudist or live off-grid. Heck just head to the nearest park and enjoy the serenity. (No park nearby? Any botanical gardens or sanctuaries?) Close your eyes and listen to the birds, laugh as squirrels chase each other, watch the trees sway in the wind. Get in touch with your inner nature lover and appreciate the beauty surrounding you.
- Plant a flower: Speaking of nature, if possible plant something in your yard or get an indoor planter. If that’s not possible, volunteer with a local park rehab organization or join a community garden. Getting your hands dirty for nature is amazingly soul-enriching.
- Listen to music: One could argue that you should listen to classical music, but I would argue that if you don’t like classical music then it won’t help your natural vibrations, while your favorite music will. So rock out, or jam out, or belt out to your favorite tunes and feel your soul vibrations naturally raise!
- Aromatherapy: Candles, diffusers, oils, incenses (oh my!) whatever your favorite smell is, divulge in it! Aromatherapy is literally designed to relax the mind, enrich the soul, and calm the body.
- Friend date: Go grab some coffee with a friend, or better yet, head to a coffee shop and make a new friend! Relationships are soul connections so never be afraid to make a new one!
- Pet a pet: Have a pet nearby? Grab Cuddles and give them some snuggles. Pet therapy is a real thing and it’s beautiful (and fuzzy). No pet’s in your home? Borrow a friend’s, or head to a pet shelter to volunteer some hugs (yes, that’s a thing)! So fill your heart with fur-goodness and play with all the fur-babies!
- Get creative: Arts and crafts are a great way to let out your inner-child while communing with your soul. No organization (or fancy materials) required. Grab whatever is closest: fingerprint, watercolors, colored pencils, highlighters – get crazy, make a mess and have fun (and throw away after if you’re afraid someone might see it)!
- Create a bucket list: Or a travel list. Research fun things to do and interesting things to see. Get rid of your inhibitions, throw the rules out the window, and DREAM BIG!
- Reach out to the Divine: Break out your tarot cards, oracle cards, runes, pendulums, tea leaves – whatever your divination method is, tap into your intuition, and get in touch with your spirituality!
- Automatic writing: Have a conversation with your journal, spit out every idea, every fear, every dream in your head onto the page. When you’re done, put the pen down and take a deep breath. A flood of inspiration will overtake you and pour onto the page. This is your guide helping you.
- Love yourself: Love unconditionally. Forgive when you make mistakes, show gratitude when you do something to support your mind, body, and soul, and appreciate when you try something out of your comfort zone.
Catch some good ideas? Don’t forget to mix and match to keep your mind, body, and soul in tip-top shape! Drop your favorite ideas, and any additional holistic self-care ideas below!